Friday 1 October 2010

The First Post

October opens with dry skies, and a glowing golden crescent moon. Not a bad start to the month, considering all of the torrential rain and terrible weather we've been having these past couple of weeks.

The roll of a new month seemed like a good opportunity to launch my blog. Here it is then - hello. And speaking of new beginnings, today also marks the 'it's-exactly-one-month-until-the-start-of-NaNoWriMo' point, and is therefore cause for serious alarm.

For those that are not familiar, 'NaNoWriMo' is an annual challenge in which contestents gather (online, for the most part) and attempt to write 50,000 words in one month (November). Crazy, right? Perhaps, but definitely worth it come December 1st and you have a brand new 50,000 page manuscript! Anybody can take part, from anywhere in the world, and nobody ever has to read anything you've written.

I've taken part in the challenge several times now, with each November throwing ridiculously unhelpful, time-consuming, and non-writing-based hiccoughs to distract me and hinder my word count. This year, I've applied to become - and have been appointed as - a (joint) Municipal Liaison for the Essex region. So I'm extra determined to have a good run. This next month will undoubtedly be filled with planning and preparations - both in terms of ML-ing, and in terms of planning for my own 50,000 words. I'm thinking I'm going to try a crime fiction story.

I'll keep you posted on updates as and when. If you're interested in taking part, check out the website for more information!

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment